Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Missing Letters of the Feminine, Private Sphere, or The Intercourse of words between Clarissa Harlowe and Moll Flanders

Authorized by one born,
Out of time-
Wit in reason and width out rhyme!

-Francis Tobienne, Jr.

Miss. Clarissa Harlowe To Ms. Moll Flanders
Monday Morning, 6 o’clock (March 23).

I write, my dearest madam, in hopes of advice seasoned by a life such as yours. I have not the time nor the space to relay, in fullest and most foul of measures, what has befallen me. In short, I am pursued Ms. Flanders by a very tangible beast of a man who would rather way-lay both my fortunes and my soul. You may know of him, but pray that you never come to know him. He is a vile, vile sort of man. He is the devil on two legs though his feet were cloven hoofs. They call him a gentleman, but I see nothing of nobility in his manner. He is far from gentle, and to the other extreme-far from a man. I am a creature of virtue and this man, this…beast would have me in any way or form. How does one run from such a person? How does one defend ones honor and virtue?

I am forever your indebted servant and eager pupil for defense/ CLARISSA HARLOWE.

Ms. Moll Flanders To Miss C. Harlowe
Tuesday Night, 11 o’clock (March 24).

Miss Harlowe I was pleased to receive your letter earlier today, however I found myself a bit detained in London-a…business matter of sorts. You have taken the liberty to address me as one having much to teach you, both in season and out of it. I will be glad to share what little of gentlemen I know, and much more on the subject of gentility in men I don’t know.

First, let us address this devil-man you so readily describe in fiery brimstone language. He is a man. How do I know this? Because he pursues you with the very sweat and lust that is privy to their sex. We may be the prey, but we are costly and the power truly lies with us. Remember this!

Second, this devil is clothed in the flesh of human nobility, but exercises devil-like qualities. Recall, that you control the urges from this fellow. Would you have him eating out of your hand? Are you willing to prostitute your body for a virtue that is heightened and established? These questions are meant for your meditation towards a resolution.

When next I receive your response be sure to answer my inquiries, for as such they shall prove your mind. Your well-seasoned and true penitent/ MOLLY

Miss C. Harlowe To M. Flanders
Wednesday, March 25

I could not prepare myself for the shock of your latest letter. I must admit that my pale hue was changed to reflect my sanguine expression from the readings your letter procured. I am both astonished and curious to say the least. I have taken your questions, though quite disturbing, to my palpitating bosom and heart. What follows are my responses to your interrogation.

First, I would have no man eating out of my hand Ms. Flanders. I would desire the pleasure of a man’s company equal to his noble stature who would expect nothing more than my company for his conversation.

Second, many are the suitors who enter the Harlowe walls only to be dismissed for their lack of virtue. The virtue I possess has been given to me by the Almighty in hopes that I, though mortal, would put on immortality and that this corruptible would feign put on incorruptible. What fuels my virtue is my obedience to the Divine. A usurping of this ideal would mean to prostitute my body as well as my soul.

You have raised some questions to me, but I wonder if there are some inquiries of my own you would not disincline to acquiesce some response. I was told you have a brother, quite close and yet far removed from your person. I too have a brother. It seems all men are apt to do their sex justice by simply being and behaving like men. How is it that you were able to remove your brother, an archetype of masculine control, and I can neither remove my own nor the suitors who keep coming to my house to invade my space? Also, how else can I defend myself against such masculine dominance?

Ms. Molly To Miss Harlowe
Thursday, March 26.

You must recall my dear saint and sister of the faith that we are dominated, and yet doted upon. The difference between the two can mean harlotry to the one or control of power to the other. You must decide which one you will be. You cannot save yourself as well as the body and soul of this beast, this devil, this…man.

In reference to your brother and all men in general-you must accept your role of the submissive until you are positioned to strike at the fortunes of these unsuspecting dotards. My brother and I are removed because of complications too pre-determined to recall here, but rest assured that in all his qualities-he too is but a mere man. Never forget that a man can be hung and a devil can be burned.

The space you consider invaded is one that charges interest and exacts usury from an investment of pride not virtue. Your space can never be invaded unless you let it become so. No Clarissa, recall that you are in control and the dominance of masculinity exists but a moment.

[Clarissa reads the last of the letters from Ms. Flanders and senses the need to stop this friendly intercourse of words. She is unhappy with the advice from Moll. Moll senses this, but does not push the matter further. The two end with mutual affection towards each other in support of the feminine ideal]

Clarissa To Moll
Friday, Night, 6 o’clock, March 27.

Ms. Flanders I am writing to express my gratitude of your correspondence with me; I have learned much about the ways the other sex reacts and responds to a life of virtue. I need not continue our previous repartee for it would contain no further relevance to either of us. I assure you the advice, though disturbing and challenging, shall remain in the bond of privacy amongst true penitents.

I am your newly enlightened servant/ CLARISSA HARLOWE

Moll To Clarissa
Saturday, March 28.

Clarissa you are still young and idealize much to virtue, but be forewarned that sustained virtue in itself can be a pride unto the bearer before destruction. I wish you well and that your happiness is tangibly attainable to one so unattainably intangible.

If ever my services are requested I will again answer to the call, your humble tutor and penitent/ MOLLY

[The author chose to leave these letters out of the original manuscript in hopes that readers, after its initial reading, would undoubtedly agree to its omission; the novel does not suffer in spite of its non-inclusion…]

No comments: