Friday, January 16, 2009

Rolle, a not so common exemplum

In a New York Times article, Pete Thamel comments on the rising stock of a Florida State University safety--not for his athletic prowess, but for his academic and sagacious decision.

You see, Myron Rolle's decision to suspend his potential career in the NFL, for a better, a stronger candidacy--to attend Oxford University as a Rhodes Scholar, is the "stuff," the "middling" of greatness!

I applaud Rolle not only for his decision to attend a fine university, but for his long-term projection skills. He knows that the NFL will always be there, but a chance to go to Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar...not so much.

I write this blog also for another reason. The trend of student athletes to go into the professional arena, privy to their sport, is a common one. Yet, when a student decides to choose education over a fleeting season of millions--this draws attention.

Rolle should receive all of the attention he is getting, and I hope student athletes pay razor-close attention to his example. Mark Sanchez recently announced his decision to enter the 2009 NFL draft, but he completed his degree. Tim Duncan completed his degree at Wake Forest, and 4 championship rings later, we know the story.

This is a trend I hope to see continue, and one that I hope the new president can acknowledge. Rolle should be invited to the White House. He should be made an example--period! I do not know Rolle personally, but I do know that his personal decision spoke personally to many--even myself.

No comments: