Tuesday, November 4, 2008

On 4 November 2008 Where were You?

At 11:15 p.m. a young, African American male was elected as the 44th president of the United States. He is an educated man, an experienced man, an African American man.

His candidacy, verified as not only a viable Democratic representative, but now as a president of the country.

As a young, African American man, I have not wintessed the atrocities of slavery, the disimissal of the human tag due to the color of one's skin, or the shameful tolerance and ignorance of (in)visiblity.

I will remember the journey from within my generation, from the geo-political spaces I have since traveled, and for my future family, my children.

I will note this, however, I am not fully convinced that this country is still without its culpability, its racism, its shortcomings. Still, I am quite lucky to be alive. In terms of electoral votes thus far: Obama 338, McCain 156.

This moment, this event is tearful to all, and if MLK, jr. had survived, if DuBois had been alive, and others had witnessed what I have had the privilege to follow, to behold for the last 2 years--just...awesome.

Here are the facts: Barack Hussein Obama, a reflection of the African, a reflection of the American has transcended the color line--at least long enough to be judged amidst his peers, his citizens to be the 44th president of the United States.

There will be many, many, many blogs, books, op ed pieces and so on. To quote The Preacher, "of making many books there is no end." I urge us all to embrace this moment, and enjoy the present. I am overjoyed, humbled. I now believe.

No comments: