Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Sport Predictions & Wine Selections

Ah yes, we are almost at an end with the summer season. If I may, and moreover if you are a red wine lover like myself, might I suggest a Sangria or two.

These are from scratch:

First, for a strong brew take a bottle (750 mL, or thereabouts), a cup of Bacardi Limon (or, pomegranate), two cups of Ginger Ale (Vernor's works great too) and garnish with a cup of ice, one apple sliced and one orange sliced.

Second, this one is a bit on the sweet side but worth the risk in bulk. Take a bottle of red wine (750 mL, or thereabouts), a cup of sugar (yes man, a full cup of sugar), a cup of lime "carbonate" (this phrasing avoids disgruntled supporters of either "pop" or "soda"), garnish with similar fruit options as above (or heck, add some strawberries but do not leave this overnight).

Now, my predictions going in to ALL sports:

Tennis: US Open will be won by either Roger Federer or well, Roger Federer (and no, I am not a fan) I was hoping Rafa would be back to speed, but I am not so sure about those chronic knees of his. On the women's end, I pick one of the Williams sisters (your guess is as good as mine here).

Football:

I actually would like the Steelers to win it all over again. I have mad respect for Coach MT. Patriots can take a back seat, and Bills have no chance whatsoever. Detroit is overpriced, and underachieved as usual. Same old same old here. Manning needs help again, but yeah--which one AM I talkin' bout?!

Basketball:
Lakers vs. Who cares, and no--Shaq will have absolutely NO impact in the East other than for the first 1/3 of the season. Sad, but that's a lot of body mass to move and pound on that hard surface day in day out. Not gonna happen Cleveland fans, and yes--I think LBJ takes off after the 2010 season. Where? Hmmm...I hear New York is feenin'.

Golf:
I actually think Tiger will go majorless until the Master's 2010. Still, he's the best in the biz right now. Why can't Garcia and Harrington catch him though? Sheesh!

Well, that's all folks, and if you're ever in Florida and need a place to crash--look me up. I'll put more than another shrimp on the barbie for ya' (insert Australian accent here). Salmon steaks with pesto paste, pine nuts, sun-dried tomatoes, chopped baby spinach and a white wine sangria with strawberry and lemon peel accents in a pitcher like Country-time mom use to make (you know what I'm talking about man). Ahhhhh...these days are good days, no!

No comments: